The Analysis of the Chest Tube Thoracostomies Performed in a Newly Established Hospital of a Medical School


JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND ANALYTICAL MEDICINE, vol.6, no.5, pp.554-557, 2015 (ESCI) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 6 Issue: 5
  • Publication Date: 2015
  • Doi Number: 10.4328/jcam.2166
  • Journal Indexes: Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI), Scopus, TR DİZİN (ULAKBİM)
  • Page Numbers: pp.554-557
  • Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University Affiliated: Yes


Aim: We have analyzed the chest tube thoracostomies (CTT) performed in our Thoracic Surgery clinics of our newly established medical school hospital. Material and Method: The medical records of 130 patients to whom CTT were performed by the Thoracic Surgery Clinics of the Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University from December 2009 to July 2013 were retrospectively analyzed. Results: 102 patients (78%) out of 130 were male and 28 (22%) were women. Mean age of the patients were 58.9 +/- 20.4. 19% (n:25) of these patients were diagnosed at our clinics and the remaining 81% (n:105) were consultated from other clinics The most common indication of CTT was pleural effusion (35%, n:45). The mean fluid drainage of the patients with pleural effusions for various reasons (63%, n:84) were 1462.80 +/- 1054.46. The mean air drainage time for the patients with pneumothorax for various reasons (37%, n:46) were 5.8 +/- 3.1 days. There was only one complication (0,8%) in these 130 patients which was the intraparanchymal drain placement. Discussion: As a procedure that is usually performed under emergency conditions CTT has a high potential for development of serious complications and thus increasing the importance of resident doctor training in Thoracic Surgery clinics. CTT has a low rate of complications when performed with the right indication, at the appropriate location and in devotion to the surgical principles; can increase the importance of the Thoracic Surgeons in the medical centers that they are working at and can also increase the relationship of the Thoracic Surgery clinics with the other clinics.